[Single] YUI – feel my soul

Saturday, July 12, 2008

 


This is YUI's debut major label single. It was released in February 23, 2005. It peaked #8 on the Oricon Chart and sold 107,930 copies. The a-side was used as insert song to a TV Drama 'Fukigen na Gene'.

feel my soul is a mellow acoustic song. Percussion, acoustic and strings are just fused very well. Indeed, YUI showed her strength as a songwriter. I can't help myself to love the lyrics of this song. It has deep meanings, yet the words are easy to understand. YUI probably has clear pronunciation, since i have no major difficulties while trying to sing this song except for the fast yet high-registered chorus. Not to mention, it contains English phrases, but it's just ruining what the Japanese lyrics has done. I have nothing to worry about the verse. YUI's soft vocal just fits it perfectly. But for chorus the weakness of YUI's vocal really showed up. Vocals on chorus sounds like little child's cringing voice. Gladly, it's saved by the backing vocal. Still, it's a good song. To tell you, it's YUI who brought me into these madness ^^.
Arrangement: A | Music: A- | Vocal: C+

The free spirited Free Bird is the first b-side in this single. It has funky electric guitar chords plus that percussion and acoustic guitar and heavy bass. I absolutely have no problem with the music. Now, we come to the vocals. Since YUI's vocal worse than the track before, the male background vocalist instantly overpowered her. Her vocal control was so bad. The nice ending isn't enough to save this song. This is YUI's worst b-side in my opinion.
Arrangement: B | Music: A | Vocal: C-

I was really happy to hear Why me. It's so sad and sincere. In this song, YUI's vocal really shines. It's way better than the other song in this single. Unlike Free Bird, the male vocalist done his job well to support YUI. Again, the lyrics are so deep. She also used simple English phrases. It wasn't placed out of place like feel my soul did. However, this is the best song in this single, yet one of her best b-side.
Arrangement: A | Music: A+ | Vocal: A-

Overall, I give the score [84/B] for this single.




0 comments: